In this project, I attempted to attain an altered state while drawing. I set up experiments for myself, becoming both doctor and patient.
The experiments were:
- ‘Mirror Drawing’ (drawing with both hands at the same time)
- ‘Faint Drawing’ (fainting with graphite powder on my head)
- ‘Blind Drawing’ (drawing while blindfolded)
- ‘Prayer Drawing’ (repetitive writing of the same word or phrase)
- ‘Self-Hypnosis Drawing’ (drawing after listening to a self-hypnosis video)
- ‘Shock Drawing’ (using a machine that sends different electric frequencies while drawing)
- ‘Sleep Deprivation Drawing’ (drawing after not sleeping for a certain period of time)
After exploring my unconscious self through these experiments, I reexamined these ideas through additional drawings. The residues of my drawing experiments were left in my studio. My studio became a drawing.